HomeHomeHomeHome

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Our 'DIHYW' Wedding

I thought I would begin with a story from a few months back. On July 1, 2011, Matt and I got married at Government Wharf in Kennebunkport in front of a special bench dedicated to my papa, Booth Chick. He was a great shipbuilder, seaman, loyal friend and a great influence on me growing up.

If you wonder why I am calling this post 'DIHYW'- it is for 'do it how you want'. I am on the err, older end of my friends getting married, so needless to say I have been to several weddings- and in over six! (always a bridsemaid, never the bride was joked more than once at the dinner table). After attending some of the most beautiful weddings that could grace the glossies of Modern Bride, it was hard for me wrap my head around how I would want my perfect day. A lot of choices is not always a good thing. I wanted a carnival, authentic, coastal, Maine, medium sized yet intimate, preppy, monogrammed, simple, fun, kitschy yet classic, pink, green, navy, teal, coral, yellow with a touch of lavender wedding...WHAT!@#$%^

The choices were endless- and the list of 'to do's' were scary! I was overwhelmed, and just coming off of the high of being the maid of honor in my sisters wedding to boot. So Matt and I took a hard look at what we wanted,
really. The one thing I knew I was sure of was after 10 months of planning, the price tag, whether we could afford it or not, seemed to be waaaay too much for one day. The one thing Matt knew was that he did not want a big spectacle, and hates having the attention on him. So after some big conversations- we decided to do what was right for us! So here is the breakdown:

  • Bridal Dress- Lilly Pulitzer $400
  • Tie and Pants- Brooks Brothers $175
  • Miles leash and collar- Lilly Pulitzer $35 (found awesome ebay merchant to hand make with matching fabric)
  • Officiant/Location/Decorations $300
  • Flowers- Blooms Flower Shoppe (designed by wonderful Michelle Rose of Minka)
  • Amazing Dinner/Drinks at Colony Hotel $1200
  • Photographer- David Wright- under $1300
  • Cake- Let Them Eat Cake - $300
  • Rings- Amazon.com for both traditional bands (side note: I got a gorgeous diamond band as a special gift the day of our wedding from Matt that he picket out in Portsmouth, NH- LOVE)
  • Hair (for everyone!)- Nancy George in Kennebunk
  • Make-up- Christian Dior (trick: I went to the counter at Macy's at CD and got a 1/2 hour tutorial on how to do my own make up. I ended up spending about $300 on all of the make-up, but am still using it to this day)
  • Invitations/Announcements- Village Paperie/ William Arthur- $400
  • Wedding Party Gifts- $350
So all in all, Matt and I got the intimate (immediate family attended), fun (great friends met us for a (few) after dinner drinks, authentic and affordable wedding of our dreams (all said and done it was under $5,000)

~ I ordered these monogrammed place cards and favor boxes
from
My Own Labels and they came out great!




~Matt and I after we say our 'I Do's'




~ Little Miles wearing his matching Lilly collar and leash




~ The bench dedicated to my papa





~Amazing cake by Let Them Eat Cake in Kennebunk





~Walking into the Colony Hotel to see our family




~ Great ending to a great day


No comments:

Post a Comment